First of all, I set up a Freenom domain (free domain, if you want to know). I used CloudFlare to set up the CNAME records, and the target was the custom domain Repl.it allows you to set.
But then, a plot twist happened: It wasn't reading the record. I've set it up perfectly with no errors. My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.
You can remove CloudFlare nameservers and use Freenom DNS. I used it and it works fine. If you don't use because of the CNAME records that can be blank, than you can use the following:
- Get the URL what you get from repl.it to connect with a CNAME record.
- Open the Command Prompt (on Windows don't know how Mac works...)
- Type 'nslookup [Put here the link]'
- You will see the next in the Command Prompt
- Copy the IP Address by 'Non-authoritative answer'.
- Set a A-Record, leave the name blank and set the target to the IP Address.
(Really works. I did it on other websites from me.)
Hi @JohnDoe29 -- man using Freenom and CloudFlare is painful.
Ok, I've just set up the following using free domains and cloudflare.
As far as I can tell, the issue seems to be Freenom. I set up domains and then Cloudflare just didn't find them, forever ...
Here's what I did:
Create domain -- choose to forward the URL to repl.it (you'll change it later)
Use Add Site -- enter new domain there. Hope it works. The first domain took one try, the second domain took 15 or so tries.
Use the edit option to setup the custom domain. Copy the CNAME record data that ends in repl.co so that you can go back
Select CNAME from the dropdown menu, enter the domain (with subdomain if you wish) into the first field and paste the *.repl.co address into the second field. You can click the orange button to prevent traffic from going to Cloudflare.
... it should now say "You're all set" and you can just click Link. But, on one occasion, I had to reload the web page, then re-set it up, and it worked.