3
Repl.it or code issue?
ChristopherBurn (6)

I've started a coding club in our school, and we have been collaboratively creating a game in Python with Turtle. It worked just fine until last week. Now for some of the computers (everyone is on Chromebooks) the opening screen turtle drawer just takes off and the game freezes for about 5 minutes. For others the game still functions as expected. I have tried debugging, but there is no error I can see in the code and as it occurs only on certain machines I am wondering if it is a repl.it issue and not a code issue. I have also put the code into other online editors and it runs perfectly. We can't install IDE's on the Chromebooks (school division controlled) and we like repl.it for it's multiplayer capacity.
Any ideas? The issue generally occurs while drawing the "a" in "tank", but if you comment that section out the issue will occur elsewhere in the title drawing process.
I'd love to get this working again so we can continue with it. But it's very hard to test it when it only runs on one machine.

Edit* See link: https://repl.it/@ChristopherBurn/TurtleTank

You are viewing a single comment. View All
1
BrianTheado (2)

I am able to duplicate the issue on my linux desktop when I use chrome and when I use firefox on the same it works fine.

It looks to me like the python interpreter gets stuck executing the same line of code over and over. I made this fork (https://repl.it/@BrianTheado/TurtleTank-1) and the 'print("2")' statement runs endlessly until I stop the interpreter.

It looks like repl.it folks are using http://www.skulpt.org version of python for the python turtle based repls. Apparently it is a python interpreter written in javascript so it can run client side in the browser.

This version of python isn't nearly as mature as normal python, so the issue may be with skulpt or the version of skulpt repl.it is using. Using the developer tools, I can't really tell what version of skulpt is being used...all the javascript is minified.

My guess is the skulpt python interpreter is going haywire for some reason. I would think most chromebooks are kept at the same chrome versions, so it is mysterious how it works on some but not others.

I'm pretty sure the comment from your IT guys is wrong...there is no flash here...it should be all javascript.

I'm not really sure how to figure this one out.