NOT YOUR TYPICAL REPL TEXT ADVENTURE!
[ UPDATES: ]
1. WHY UP-VOTE? If you play the game and like it, please give it an up-vote so more people can see and enjoy it. The REPL "Talk" screen sorts projects by a ratio of AGE vs. UP-VOTES.
2. Don't forget to REST when you've taken damage after a fight!
[ STATS: ]
As of 2020-03-22:
- Over 8,000 lines of complex class-based Python code
- ~800 total characters created
- ~80 characters played >= 0.01 day (longer than ~8 minutes)
Hello fellow REPL'ers,
A while back, I shared my initial idea for creating a 3D maze game. I took that idea and combined it with an RPG Text Adventure I've been working on for a while. Here's the result!
NOTE: Game is best played in a full screen window due to the 3D perspective "window" in the upper right corner:
Typical text adventure commands can be used to move (such as north, west, etc), however you can also use the cursor buttons:
Up: Move forward
Down: Move backwards (doesn't change facing direction)
Right: Turn to the right
Left: Turn to the left
While the graphics seem VERY simple, it is in-fact a 3-layer rendering engine. If portions of the first layer are transparent (such as an opening in a wall) then the contents beyond are rendered. This means when you open a door, the contents of whatever is beyond that door will be shown, etc.
Currently, the engine can render: walls, a few kinds of doors, archways, torches, caverns, bridges and more.
Don't forget: You will still need to read the text side of the screen for room descriptions, NPCs and other information.
The RPG includes:
- Save / restore characters
- Custom character creation
- Multi-layer armor
- Skill-based fighting
- Tick-based engine where things happen when you aren't typing ("tick" is around 10 seconds)
- Day / night cycle
- NPCs can be talked to
- Quest tracking
Lastly, the game is clearly not complete. I work in my spare time on:
- add "room objects" like levers which can be pulled or paintings that can be examined, etc
- filling out the map
- add more "frames" to the rendering engine
- add more quests and items (eventually you will leave the Keep to adventure in the Borderlands)
I would guess there's enough in the game to play through the first 30-40 minutes or so (including the rat warrens).
Let me know what you think!
PS: Don't forget to play the game in a full screen / large window:
PPS. If you get injured, use the REST command (while not in combat) to heal up.
@Hashcode if you aren't too busy with other parts of the code, a little suggestion for something you could add is, when selling items, it asks how many you want to buy if you have multiple of that item. For instance, I have 2 rat fur in my bag, but to sell them both I have to say "sell," "1," and "y" twice. Not a super big hassle, just a little quality-of-life tweak. ^ ^* Thanks again for your work on this game, it's honestly pretty fun to play, even in this early-development state!
Also, can you make the in-combat damage text (the thing that says "[victim] suffers a [intensity] wound") red, so that it is more visible, and puts more stress on it?
@LizFoster I fixed up item grouping and now allow you to sell more than just 1 item at a time.
I was debating the color for the wound messages for some time now. I think:
- mild wound = yellow
- serious wound = orange
- grievous wound = red
Should I make the whole line that color or just the word: "mild", "serious" and "grievous"?